With our children starting camps and other activities in the coming weeks, it’s important to go over a few tips on having fun in the sun:
1. Play outside – at our colder Canadian latitude, we are grateful to be able to be outdoors during the precious summer months! Encourage your kids to get outside every day, even if it’s just to take a stroll around your neighbourhood, or a leisurely bike ride. We are designed to get plenty of fresh air and sunshine on a daily basis!
2. Use chemical-free sunscreen/lip balm – what you put ON your body is just as important as what you put IN your body. Read ingredients and avoid chemicals like parabens, PABA, dyes, artificial scents, and artificial preservatives like Polysorbate 80, and PEG. Instead, make sure the active sunscreen agent is titanium dioxide, or zinc oxide, as these are from Nature, highly effective and non-toxic. Beware of any active ingredients like oxybenzone, or oxaloacetate, chemicals that are being questioned in their role in some skin cancers. Water-resistant sunscreens are recommended. Some great brands are UV Naturals, Green Beaver, Badger, Aubrey Organics, and Mexitan.
3. Go out in the sun WITHOUT sunscreen about 30 minutes per day – remember, tanning does not predispose the skin to damage or cancerous changes, BURNING does. Use your judgment and common sense, and get your daily natural dose of vitamin D intelligently!
4. Wear a hat – it will help keep you cool, and a full brim will provide protection from burning sensitive areas of the head and neck like the ears.
5. Drink plenty of water – your body is 75% water and should ALWAYS be the drink you reach for, especially in the summertime, when our sweat production increases due to increase in heat and humidity.
6. More than anything, HAVE FUN! Enjoy family time, vacations whether weekend getaways or longer adventures, and some well-deserved rest and relaxation time!
Dr. Sabrina Bercovtich and her husband, Dr. Jason Bercovitch, own and practice at LiveWell Family Health Centre, Ottawa’s most comprehensive health and wellness centre. The Centre offers health services for the whole family: gentle Chiropractic care, Registered Massage Therapy, Naturopathy, Nutritional and Lifestyle Counseling, Yoga, a Natural Pharmacy, and Journey Emotional Counseling. Dr. Sabrina sees lots of children and expectant moms in her practice because it is her passion and mission to keep the future generation vibrant, healthy, and lifestyle-conscious. Contact Dr. Sabrina, at [email protected] or at 613 225-3339.