'Tis the season for baking! What says Christmas more than colourful little sugar cookies cut into the shapes of gingerbread men, sleighs, bells, and snowmen?
They're wonderful ... but they're so far beyond my skill set! I've tried, believe me. The dough gets stuck to the counter, or to the cookie cutter, or they all blend together in the oven, or they fall apart when I try taking them off the cookie sheet. I promise you - it never works out!
But this year? I've solved my Christmas sugar cookie-making troubles! Behold: Christmas Cookie Lollipops (aka Lazy Mom Christmas Cookies)
- 1 roll of pre-made sugar cookie dough
- Craft sticks (varies by how thick you slice your dough, we wound up with about 15 slices)
- Decorating sugar in different colors
- Small shallow bowls for sugar
- Cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray
Here's what you do:
1. Pre-heat the oven according to the cookie dough package.
2. Slice the roll of dough into even slices and roll the slices into balls. Your little ones can help push the sticks into the cookie dough balls. You may need to help reshape after that.
3. Then hold the stick and gently roll the cookie dough balls into the dish of colored sugar of your choosing and then lay it on the cookie sheet. Be sure to arrange the sticks so that the cookies do not expand into the stick of another cookie as they bake. You may need an additional cookie sheet in order to space your cookies out enough.
4. Bake according to the package directions. Let the cookies cool completely before attempting to hold as a lollipop.