The National Capital Commission’s (NCC) ice team has confirmed that a 2.4 km section of the Rideau Canal Skateway will be ready to open on January 28, 2021, at 8am, between Pretoria Bridge and the Bank Street Bridge.
The Rideau Canal Skateway team will continue working to open other sections of the world’s largest skating rink as soon as ice conditions are safe and weather permits.
In the meantime, the NCC reminds the public to not venture onto closed sections of the Skateway.
We will be following public health guidelines for the COVID-19 pandemic.
Measures in place
- Mask use recommended on the Skateway (mandatory indoors)
- Hand-washing and use of on-site hand sanitizer recommended
- Bi-directional double staircases
- Yield to oncoming traffic on single staircases
- 100 additional benches
- Carry your belongings with you
Impact on amenities
- Washrooms: Open, capacity limited, masks required, sanitizer provided
- Change rooms: Closed
- Cubbies: Closed
- Food and beverage concessions: Closed
- Rentals: Closed
- Other: Fire pits and picnic tables unavailable