The NCC is pleased to inform the public that the full 7.8 kilometres of the Rideau Canal Skateway, from downtown (Rideau) to the Hartwells Locks, is now open. From one end to the other, skaters will now have access to 30 staircases and five universal access ramps leading to the Skateway.
In order to be consistent with the provincial emergency measures, and in close consultation with public health officials, we are suggesting that residents across the National Capital Region access those NCC assets closest to their home, within their province of residence. This suggestion is an effort to align with the public health directives related to exercising locally and avoiding non-essential travel.
While the current situation is disappointing for all of us, dispersing use throughout our winter activity network during the current state of emergency is our best chance to ensure that our assets can be used safely and remain open.
To date, all NCC assets remain accessible to the public, provided that users follow public health directives, as well as NCC preventative measures, at all times. These measures include the following:
- Stay at least two metres (six feet) apart from those outside your household.
- Wear a mask or face covering.
- Wash your hands, and use the on-site hand sanitizer.
- Respect the capacity limits posted in the washroom facilities.
- Carry your belongings with you, as there is no access to changing facilities or cubbies.
The NCC invites the public to visit its website to obtain information on the ice conditions by section.